What’s in store for 2020 for Vocational Education?
Our union supports members working in English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Colleges and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) and in 2020 we plan to build our union’s collective voice in the sector to improve members’ working conditions.
Due to the insecure nature of work in these sectors, and the absence of collective agreements, member strength is essential to ensuring positive change.
Our Vocational Education and Training (VET)/ELICOS Working Group, which is comprised of our growth organisers and a group of long-term members, have developed priority tasks for 2020 to increase our unions relevance in the sectors.
These priority tasks include:
- worksite bargaining to improve wages and working conditions;
- increasing member engagement with the group to increase feedback and expertise;
- policing current conditions especially for those working under the Award to ensure there is no more wage theft or over-casualisation in the sector;
- growing an awareness in regard to the recognition of professional requirements for educators in the sector;
- growing community and industry confidence in the VET sector;
- building a presence at stakeholder consultations and discussions; and
- ongoing monitoring, investigation and response to VET and ELICOS sector professional and industrial issues.
The primary goal of these key tasks is for our union to highlight the need for professional recognition in the VET and ELICOS sectors through professional rates of pay and fair working rights for members.
In order to achieve this goal, we must first grow our collective voice in the sectors through increased membership and member engagement.
Our union urges members working in the VET and ELICOS sectors to join our VET/ELICOS Working Group to have their say, encourage their colleagues to join our union, and invite your union organiser to meet with your colleagues to discuss growing union strength in your workplace.
For more information on joining the VET/ELICOS Working Group contact IEUA-QNT Growth Organiser Cherie Wills via email: email@example.com
Upcoming VET/ELICOS Working Group Meetings:
- Monday, 20 April 2020
- Monday, 15 June 2020
- Monday, 28
- September 2020