Renewal time for our Reconciliation Action Plan
Our union’s Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) is due for renewal, with members encouraged to help develop our renewed commitment to reconciliation.
A RAP is a strategic document that commits organisations to take practical action and make a contribution to reconciliation with First Nations peoples – both internally and within the communities in which the organisation operates.
Our union’s initial RAP was implemented in 2016 and across the life of this RAP we have:
- Established a working group to monitor and report on the progress of the RAP;
- Increased celebration and promotion of significant events including National Reconciliation Week, Close the Gap Day and NAIDOC Week;
- Developed relationships with First Nations people, communities and organisations;
- Supported the Narragunnawali Reconciliation in Schools and Early Learning program;
- Held regular Yarning Circle meetings to facilitate networking opportunities and identify issues of significance to First Nations members; and
- Initiated a Message Stick, which travelled across Queensland and the Northern Territory and created points of engagement with school communities to promote our RAP and the importance of reconciliation.
In preparation for our union’s next RAP, a Training and Planning Session will be held in Brisbane on 20 May 2019.
IEUA-QNT Research Officer Adele Schmidt said the session would be critical in building on the foundation established by our prior RAP.
“Our union’s initial RAP was an important acknowledgement of our ethical and professional responsibility to promote reconciliation internally as an organisation and to positively influence the next generation by working with members to support reconciliation within their school communities,” Ms Schmidt said.
“Our first RAP made significant progress on initial measures to promote reconciliation and we will now be looking to expand on this.”
Ms Schmidt said First Nations members as well as members with an interest in participating in our union’s RAP development were invited to attend the upcoming planning session.
To find out more about the session, contact Adele via telephone on 3839 7020 or e-mail at email@example.com
Read more about Reconciliation Action Plans at www.reconciliation.org.au/reconciliation-action-plans/
Read more about our union’s initial RAP at https://www.qieu.asn.au/about-your-union/reconciliation/
Image credit: Taleah Stirling-Gutt - IEUA-QNT Awards for Excellence in Art Design - Indigenous Art winning recipient