Log In

Your membership number
(this must be six digits long and may include zeros, e.g. 001234)

Initially set as your family name in lower-case but you may change it after you have logged in by clicking Your Details

Please enter a username and a password

Checking membership credentials

Logging in

Login Failed
Home > News > 2018 > March > Severe weather events: advice for Northern Territory members

Severe weather events: advice for Northern Territory members

Topics : Member advice

rain.jpegAs Darwin begins the clean-up after Tropical Cyclone Marcus, our union would like to remind Northern Territory members of relevant Emergency Leave available to them under their collective agreements. 

Emergency Leave 
Emergency Leave provisions can be found in the collective agreements that apply to Northern Territory Catholic (Clause 5.9) and Lutheran (Clause 77) schools as well as some independent schools. 

Whether your collective agreement contains an Emergency Leave provision or not, and you have safety concerns for your family or property, you should remain at home and advise your school accordingly. 

In the Northern Territory Catholic and Lutheran sector provisions, employees can access emergency leave of up to five days from their personal leave at the discretion of the employer.

Independent schools such as Tiwi College and The Essington School also have provision for Emergency Leave.

The Tiwi College provision states employees may apply for up to five days of their personal leave in cases of “domestic emergency”, at the discretion of the Principal.

The Essington School collective agreement states that employees can take personal leave if an unexpected emergency prevents them from attending work.

Employees at Tiwi College and The Essington are also entitled to unpaid Voluntary Emergency Management Activity leave in line with the provisions of the National Employment Standards.

Members in all other schools, should refer to their collective agreement via our website
 to confirm whether such provisions are in place for their workplace.

We are here to help
Any issues faced by members in regard to the employer providing paid leave in the current circumstances will be dealt with by our union.

Please do not hesitate to contact our union
 should you require further advice not available on the website and within relevant collective agreements.

Authorised by Terry Burke, Independent Education Union of Australia – Queensland & Northern Territory Branch, Brisbane.