International Education Services Collective Bargaining
International Education Services (IES) offers international students pathways to University of Queensland through their Foundation courses at their Spring Hill locations.
Collective bargaining commenced in October 2016 and after many organisational changes were implemented with minimal consultation and delays in negotiations members are still fighting for manageable workload expectations, fair wages and to secure current conditions.
In May 2017, the employer put to ballot a proposed document with increased workload requirements, a lack of recognition for highly skilled and experienced teachers with a minimal salary increase for all educators.
IES Teachers voted with an outstandingly strong “NO”: 32-13 with 6 not voting.
Increasing student numbers have resulted in breaches of workload conditions from the current agreement for 18 months.
A number of key issues for employees remain:
- Ensuring achievable workload conditions are maintained.
- Fair and remunerative salaries and wages.
- Recognising and rewarding highly skilled and experienced teachers.
- Security of employment.
- Continual consultation with employees throughout the intensive growth and restructure of the organisation.
The Independent Education Union published an update at http://qieu.asn.au/campaign-updates/international-education-services-collective-bargaining/ which contained the following statement:
"An application to the FWC by our union forced the employer to issue IFAs for extended hours and reduced some teachers' scheduled classes, requiring extra staff to be hired."
The statement does not correctly reflect the sequence of events.
The IEU made an application to FWC seeking to require IES to continue to bargain towards reaching an agreed enterprise agreement.
Separately, and before being aware of the FWC application, IES issued IFAs to staff. The two events occurred separately and are not connected in the manner suggested by the above statement.
- Chapter Briefing - 29 August 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 18 August 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 9 August 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 16 June 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 12 June 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 18 May 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 5 April 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 23 March 2017
- Chapter Briefing - 14 December 2016