School Officer Day
On Wednesday 10 June, members across Queensland and the Northern Territory will mark School Officer Day by recognising and celebrating how our school officers and services staff support quality education.
Sadly, the reality for many school officers and support staff is one of insecure employment and a lack of access to the quality professional development needed to build their careers.
Special online afternoon tea
Our union will celebrate School Officer Day by hosting an online afternoon tea for school officers and services staff members.
IEUA-QNT Branch Secretary Terry Burke said that the annual celebration of School Officer Day gives visibility and recognition to the critical role of school officers and services staff in the delivery quality education while also acknowledging the particular professional issues they face.
“School officers and services staff continue to face inconsistent pay, casualisation, and a lack of professional development and recognition,” Mr Burke said.
Members can promote School Officer Day by:
- encouraging school officers and services staff to participate in our afternoon tea;
- displaying School Officer Day posters in staff rooms;
- using our School Officer Day 2020 - celebrating 30 years #IEUnionstrong Facebook frame (keep an eye out on Sunday, 7 June);
- inviting school officers and services staff who haven't yet joined our union to join via our website; and
- thanking the school officer and services staff in your schools.