Reconciliation in Action
Our union's second Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) was endorsed by Reconciliation Australia in October 2019.
Significant initiatives of our new RAP:
- Establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations members, stakeholders and organisations.
- Build relationships through celebrating National Reconciliation Week (NRW).
- Identify issues of significance to First Nations members.
- Mark Close the Gap Day.
- Increase understanding, value and recognition of First Nations cultures, histories, knowledge and rights through cultural learning.
- Develop exemplary Cultural Leave Clauses.
- Develop exemplary clauses for School Officers in relation to the unique role of Indigenous Support/Liaison workers.
- Build respect for First Nations cultures and histories by celebrating NAIDOC Week.
- Provide opportunities for First Nations members to form professional networks.
- Increase First Nations supplier diversity to support improved economic and social outcomes.
- Promote Narragunnawali: Reconciliation in education to staff and external stakeholders.
Our Yarning Circle provides an important networking opportunity for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander members and a forum to inform our campaigning and advocacy.
The dates for our 2020 Yarning Circle gatherings are:
- Thursday 20th February 2020
- Thursday 7th May 2020
- Thursday 6th August 2020
- Thursday 15th October 2020
Our Yubbah Action Group is a working committee within our union ensuring the organisations commitment to reconciliation is reflected throughout the organisation’s activities and is responsible for maintaining an active RAP.
The group is named after the Noonuccal word “Yubbah” meaning “message stick”, as our message stick came from Noonuccal woman and member Thersa Nunn.
The groups meets a minimum of five times per year, with the 2020 dates outlined below:
- Monday 3rd February 2020
- Monday 27th April 2020
- Monday 20th July 2020
- Monday 7th September 2020
- Monday 9th November 2020
We encourage First Nations members to join our Yarning Circle and Yubbah Action Group to assist us in supporting and providing advice on matters relating to reconciliation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues.
If you'd like to know more about the Yarning Circle and Yubbah Action Group or register your interest in joining, please let us know via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 1800 177 938.
Pictured below: Our 2019 Yubbah Action Group members.
Our members are joining the push toward reconciliation by becoming involved in Narragunnawali, Reconciliation Australia's Reconciliation in Schools and Early Learning program.
The program helps employees in schools to design and implement a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) in their workplace.
A RAP is an important document which provides concrete strategies to support reconciliation and includes meaningful, practical plans to develop relationships, show respect and increase opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Read more about Narragunnawali Reconciliation in Schools and Early Learning Program
- Download learning resources about reconciliation